Make time for your baby.
What to eat when you want to get pregnant
Research shows a healthy lifestyle considerably increases the chances of a healthy pregnancy.
The basic rule I apply is: Eat like your ancestors did 100 years ago. Much has changed since, but our genetic make-up has not.
- Eat a wide variety of vegetables, as close as possible to their natural form. Steaming and stir-frying retains vitamins.
- Avoid white flour, sugar and processed food.
- Did you know garlic is a miracle food? It even has a positive influence on erections. But make sure you both eat it Â 😉
- Cut down on meat. Replace it by pulses. Lentils, chick peas, beans are a wonderful source of protein. During the same meal, eat some grain, the combination makes it easier to absorb the protein.
- Zinc is great for increasing fertility. Carrots, peas, pumpkin, nuts and seeds, chickpeas and whole grains contain zinc. Good zinc levels help curb the â€˜sweet toothâ€™ as well.
- Do you eat a variety of grains? Millet, oats, buckwheat, barley, quinoaâ€¦
- The opinions on soy consumption differ. Soy contains phytoestrogens, plant-based substances that are related to the female hormone estrogen, which can disrupt the hormone balance, also in men.
On the other hand, a study by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA, proves that soy can protect against the adverse effects of Bisphenol A (a hormone-changing substance in plastic) and improves the success rate of IVF.
I suggest consuming the products closest to the natural form (tofu, tempeh) in moderation. Avoid the heavily processed ones such as meat imitations, soy milk and the like.
- Too much vitamin A is detrimental to fertility. Also for other vitamins applies: watch out with the dosage. You better avoid liver and liver produce due to its high level of vitamin A.
- Coffee – an American-Swedish study of 562 women shows that women who drinkÂ 1 – 3 cups of coffeeÂ a day have aÂ 30%Â higher chance of a miscarriage. Women who drinkÂ more than 5 cups of coffee a day have a 40% higher chance of a miscarriage.
- Coke, Energy drinks and Sports drinks contain caffeine, a fertility enemy. Besides that, one bottle of AA Energy drink (approx 2 glasses) contains 24 lumps of sugar! The other drinks are not much different.
- Alcohol makes conception more difficult by disrupting estrogen and progesteron levels. Alcohol also leads to worse sperm quality.
- Green tea can affect the hormone balance, donâ€™t exceed 1 cup a day.
- Fish may contain heavy metal, so go easy on fish. A good source of Omega 3 is linseed oil. Linseed oil oxydates fast and needs to be used up quickly. Capsules solve that problem.
More tips for getting pregnant
- Try to get at least 7 hours sleep a night. In the winter we tend to need more sleep than in the summer.
- Did you know gum infections can effect fertility? Keep healthy with brushing, flossing, but avoid those aggressive rinses.
- Have sex in the morning. After a rest, the sperm quality is better.
- Men with poor sperm have best sperm after one daysâ€™ abstention, after two days it gets worse again. Men with normal sperm have the best quality sperm after seven days abstention.
- Have fun. I really believe it makes a great difference to our lives, even fertility, as it cuts down stress.
- Yoga helps. I work with a Fertility Yoga System by Ludmila MojzÃsovÃ¡, which in itself has helped populate the Czech Republic.
- Smoking delays a pregnancy by lowering estrogen levels, plus it increases the chance of a miscarriage.
- Stress disrupts the acid-alkaline balance, which is of prime importance to all body processes. Stress is associated with irregular menstruation and abnormal sperm. Further, stress impacts potency.
- Overweight reduces fertility – consult your doctor
- Medication – beware of pain killers like Ibuprofen, these can disturb the hormone balance, making it impossible for a fertilized egg to attach itself in the whomb. Ask your doctor or chemist for advice.
- Navel piercing – the piercing cuts through the Conception Vessel, an essential meridian – imagine cutting through an electric wire – the light would not go on. Take it out.
- Wishing you luck!
Monika Denes | Eline Verestraat 23 | 1183 KX Amstelveen | Call +31(0)20 7718183